Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday 24 December 2012

Knusper Knusper

As most of you fashion filers know I like to make a traditional German Knusper Haus for the festive season, made from gingerbread we decorate them with sweets and feast on them over Christmas and new year.
Last year the small town in Germany where my family live sold out of the gingerbread houses. So I thought laterally, bought 15 bars of chocolate and we made our own. It went down so well my aunt didn't even bother securing a traditional one this year and asked me instead if I minded doing the chocolate construction again.
So this year with more time on my hands and a little hindsight I was able to perfect the building.
Firstly I used royal icing for the construction. It's too hard for sticking the sweets on (you need a chisel to get them off) but as an alternative to cement it's perfect. If you can't buy it, just add one egg white to your icing sugar and it works perfectly.
First I stuck the four bars together and onto a tray and then I let them dry. Next I stuck the second floor together and added to the ground floor and let it dry for a few hours. Then I carved two triangles from the next two bars. The length of the bar should be the longest part of the triangle. This then matches up to form the front/back of the roof, helping to create the perfect pitched roof. Make sure the icing sugar is really thick as it has to stay put on the edges and hold each bar in place. Once these are dry you can add the final four bars for the roof.
I then carved up the 15th bar to make the chimney. It's a little lop sided but looks great with a few marshmallow coming out the top. Don't worry about it not looking neat and pretty, once it's covered in sweets you won't see a thing.
Now it's time to decorate! When I do my own they tend to be colour coordinated and rather twee and pretty but when the whole family gets involved its a free for all! Each person gets a side and covers it with their favourite sweets.
Can you spot the house?

No comments:

Post a Comment